Prof. Dr. Georges Massiot
Emeritus Research Director
Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne,
Date: 29th November, 2021
Time: 03.00 pm (Pakistan Standard Time)
Hemicalide is a complex marine natural product, rich of 21 asymmetric centers with high biological activity. It is cytotoxic at a subnanomolar level with an original mode of action. Usual structural elucidation techniques (MS and NMR) allowed to propose a flat formula for hemicalide but it remained to decide which of the 1 million+ isomers best fitted the structure. This could only be approached by synthesis of fragments, many of which required original solutions. The story of hemicalide spans over more than 10 years and was made possible by the dedication of several groups of biologists and chemists from academy and industry. The lecture will give an account of this enterprise pointing out difficulties and benefits.
The webinar is open to students, researchers, young scientists, and academicians from the OIC member states and other countries.
Profile of the Speaker:
- Graduated from the Ecole nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Paris 1970
- PhD Thesis at the institut de chimie des substances naturelles, Gif /Yvette, under the direction of Pr Henri-Philippe Husson, 1975.
- postdoctoral position at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1975-1977 under Pr B. M. Trost.
- CNRS positions from 1977 to 1998, Faculty of Pharmacy-Reims.
- Deputy director of the CNRS Department of Chemical Sciences, Paris, from 1992 to 1998
- Directeur of the Centre de Recherche sur les Substances Naturelles (natural products research center), Pierre Fabre from 1998 to 2010.
- Emeritus research director at the university of Reims Champagne Ardennes since 2013
- Fields of interest : natural products, separation, structural elucidation, nuclear magnetic resonance, partial and total chemical synthesis.
- Alkaloids, terpenes, saponins, sugars
- Author and co-author of 225 scientific publications, 5 patents and 5 book chapters.
- Promotor of 15 PhD theses
- Miscellaneous : member of the board and of the scientific council of the University of Reims (1980-1992)
- Chairman of the scientific council of the faculty of pharmacy of Reims (1985, 1990)
- Chairman of the board of administrators of the Ecole Nationale Supeieure de Chimie de Paris
- Knight in the National Order of Merit (1997).
Flyer of webinar: Attached
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/TcuYTgoXoS8dtBuZ7
Procedure to join:
Zoom link for participation will be shared selected participants.