To facilitate young scientists who are involved in indigenous research within the OIC region, COMSTECH launched a joint Programme of research grants with The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in May 2009. This Programme in science and technology enables young researchers to apply for grants of up to US$15000.
The Programme aims at encouraging the pursuit of scientific excellence in OIC countries by identifying and supporting the best young scientists; reinforcing and promoting scientific research and strengthening the indigenous capacity in science and technology; counteracting the brain-drain and reducing the exodus of scientific talent from the OIC countries.
For further details and Form click here
- COMSTECH-TWAS Joint Research Grants are awarded to promising research projects carried out by young scientists working in OIC countries.
- The Research Grant amounts to a maximum of US$15,000.
- It is normally provided for a period of 18 months and is renewable once.
- The grant may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). The grant does not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, travel expenses and/or participation in international conferences.
The Programme provides support for research projects in earth sciences, engineering sciences, information technology and computer sciences, materials science including nanotechnology, pharmaceutical sciences and renewable energy.
Eligibility of Applicants
- Individual applicants must be nationals of OIC Member States, with a PhD and some research experience, but at the beginning of their careers. They should hold positions at universities or research institutions in one of the OIC countries. As a general rule, the grants are awarded to competent scientists under the age of 40 years.
- Scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal. Under COMSTECH-TWAS joint Programme 232 research projects amounting to US$ 1,792,924 from 22 OIC Member states have been approved during 2009-2017. Country-wise distribution is as under:
Country-Wise Distribution of COMSTECH-TWAS Grantees for 2009-2017 :
|S. No.||Country||No. of Grantees||Grant in US$|
|22||United Arab Emirates||1||4,790|