1st Meeting of the Steering Committee for OIC STI Agenda 2026
March 18-19, 2019
COMSTECH Secretariat, Islamabad, Pakistan
The first meeting of the Steering Committee for the implementation of the STI Agenda 2026 is being convened by COMSTECH on 18-19 March, 2019, at its Secretariat in Islamabad. The Steering Committee has been constituted following the guidelines issued by the Astana Declaration of the 1st OIC Summit on Science and Technology, (Astana, September 2017). The OIC STI Agenda 2026 outlines priorities and targets for the advancement of Science and Technology in the Muslim countries. The OIC leaders called upon COMSTECH to establish a Steering Committee, comprising the relevant OIC institutions and to prepare an implementation plan for the OIC STI Agenda.
Pursuant to the mandate given by the OIC leaders, COMSTECH in consultation with the OIC General Secretariat has prepared a comprehensive Implementation Plan and constituted a Steering Committee comprising relevant OIC institutions. The Implementation Plan identifies various programs, activities, and implementing and partner institutions for each of the priority areas of the STI Agenda
The Steering Committee is proposed to meet biannually, to review the progress on the implementation of the programs and priorities adopted by the Summit and to make necessary recommendations to the Member States, wherever necessary.
The 1st Steering Committee meeting will meet to approve its draft Terms of Reference and review the Draft Implementation Plan of the STI Agenda.
The Steering Committee currently consists of the following institutions of the OIC:
- Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH) - Chair
- OIC General Secretariat, Saudi Arabia
- Standing Committee for Economic and Commercial Cooperation (COMCEC), Turkey
- Islamic Development Bank Group (IsDB), Saudi Arabia
- Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO), Morocco
- Islamic Organization for Food Security (IOFS), Kazakhstan
- Statistical, Economic, Social Research and Training Center for Islamic Countries (SESRIC), Turkey
- Islamic Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (ICCIA). Karachi, Pakistan
- Islamic World Academy of Sciences (IAS), Jordan
- OIC Computer Emergency Response Team (OIC-CERT), Malaysia
- Standards and Metrology Institute for Islamic Countries (SMIIC), Turkey
- The Islamic Cooperation Youth Forum (ICYF) , Turkey